Burmese Cats are a sweet natured pet. Here is your informative A-list of Burmese Cats. The name of Burmese is taken after the country of origin which is Burma. Burma is also known as Myanmar. In 1930, Dr Joseph Thompson brought a female cat from Burma to San Francisco. The cat is in brown color and the cat name is Wong Mau. In 1932, Wong Mau was mated to a Seal Point Siamese which came from Thailand. Two type colors of kittens were produced, some are brown kittens with darker points and some look like Siamese kittens. When Wong Mau mated to her son, third type of kittens was produced. The kitten has darker brown coat color. In 1936, the Cat Fanciers’s Association (CFA) has recognized this cat breed as Burmese. CFA withdrew the recognition in 1947 due to too many hybrid Burmese or hybrid Siamese were being known as pure Burmese. In 1957, CFA restored the recognition with four type of coat color (blue, champagne, platinum and sable). Today, the Burmese cat is one of the excellent domestic cats for us.
Facts about Burmese Cats
- Temperament – Burmese Cats are alert, lively, loving, friendly, playful, curious and intelligent. They can adapt different type of environment well. Do not leave them alone because they thrive on human companionship. They have dog like characteristics and they are more laid back. The Burmese Cat is also known as lap cat. Their voice is strong. They are affectionate with family and they are not talkative. They can get along well with children and other pets. It is good to start their obedience training and socialization during kitten hood. Burmese kittens are lively and playful.
- Appearance – The Burmese Cat has a muscular medium-sized body. They are two type of Burmese Cat which is American Burmese Cat and British Burmese Cat. The American Burmese Cat appearance look more like athletic and the British Burmese Cat look alike Oriental Cat. The Burmese Cat comes with a pair of large golden yellow eyes. They have a rounded head and the ears are rounded at the tip. They have long and slender legs and the hind legs are longer than the front legs. The tail is tapered to a rounded tip.
- Coat color and pattern – The coat is short but silky. They are always being described as “a brick wrapped in silk”. They come with many varieties of coat colors which are blue, brown, chocolate, lilac, cream, red, brown tortie (brown with shades of red), blue tortie (blue with shades of cream), chocolate tortie (Chocolate with shades of red) and lilac tortie (lilac with shades of cream).
Burmese Cats Breed Information
|Weight||4 – 6kg (male and female)|
|Group||Natural Cat Breed|
|Exercise Ability||Let them play and run around, they enjoy play with simple toys|
|Life Span||15 – 18 years|
|Litter Size||4 to 6 kittens|
|Grooming Requirements||Weekly brushing is needed and clean ears regularly. This breed is little shedder|
Some common health issue for the Burmese Cat is cat ear infection, feline heart disease and eye problem. Owner provides enough surfaces for cats normal scratching behavior is important to make them healthier and do not overfeed your cat.
If you are interested in this cat breed, you may adopt Burmese Cat from Burmese Cat rescue or look for Burmese Cat breeders.
Burmese Cat Breeders
- Bear Country Burmese – Burmese Cat Breeder located in California, USA.
- Brenwood Burmese – Burmese Cat Breeder located in California, USA.
- Avalon Savannahs – Savannah Cat Breeder located in California, USA.
- Mitie Burmese – Burmese Cat Breeder located in California, USA.
- Jovelles Burmese of Distinction – Burmese Cat Breeder located in Queensland, Australia.