The Savannah Cat is a loyal pet. Here is your informative A-list of Savannah Cat. In 1986, A Bengal cat breeder Judee Frank develops a new cat breed by crossing between a male Serval and a Siamese Cat. This new cat breed is called Savannah. The new born kitten named Savannah. With the help of Patrick Kelly (who bought Savannah’s kittens in 1989), he approached more breeders to develop this new cat breed. In 1996, Savannah Cat is recognized by The International Cat Association. They are the largest domestic cat breed. Today, Savannah Cats become loving pet for family.
Facts about Savannah Cat
- Temperament – The Savannah Cat is friendly, sociable, talkative, inquisitive, agile, curious, intelligent and beautiful. They love to play water and they enjoy a game of fetch. They are very loyal to family as they have dog like characteristics. Savannah cats like to fluff out the base of their tail when they greet guest and they also like to flick their tail when they feel excited. They enjoy spending time with owner and do not surprise when you see your Savannah cat jump up and down on top of your door or window. They have dual sound, sometimes they chirp like their Serval father or they will meow like their domestic mother. When they are angry, you will hear they hiss like a snake.
- Appearance – The Savannah Cat look like African Cat. They have a long and slender body. Their neck and legs are long. They come with a pair of large eyes and a pair of erect ears. The appearance of Savannah Cats looks bigger size than their weight. Usually the first and second generation of hybrid cats will be larger size than the later generations. Their hind legs are usually higher than the shoulder and it look like Cheetah. The Savannah kittens are born in blue eyes and it will become green, brown or gold when they grow up.
- Coat color and pattern – The early generation of Savannah Cat have some dark spot on the lighter coat. The coat color include tan or gold with black spots, brown spotted tabby, silver spotted tabby, black and black smoke.
Savannah Cat Breed Information
|Weight||18 – 30 pounds(male and female)|
|Group||Hybrid Cat Breed|
|Exercise Ability||Let them play and run around or provide some toys for them|
|Life Span||10 – 15 years|
|Litter Size||1 to 5 kittens|
|Grooming Requirements||Weekly brushing is needed|
The Savannah Cat has no common health issue; basically this is a healthy cat breed.
If you are interested in this cat breed, you may adopt Savannah Cat from Savannah Cat rescue or look for Savannah Cat breeders.
Savannah Cat Breeders
- Tuminello Exotic – Savannah and Bengal Cat Breeder located in Central Florida, USA.
- Spots on the lake – Savannah Breeder located in Ontario, Canada.
- Avalon Savannahs – Savannah Cat Breeder located in California, USA.
- Kirembo Savannahs – Savannah Cat Breeder located in California, USA.
- The Kasbah – Savannah Cat Breeder located in Northern Indiana, USA.